Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Grace

I have no explanation as to why forgiveness and grace have been the dominating topics...but i figure...there's never too much of that...

The area that comes to mind for today's topic is this visualisation i got in church last Sunday. The pastor was talking about how Jesus calls us to forgive, to turn the other cheek, to go the extra mile with people. To extend grace to others, essentially.

Not because they deserve it, not because you HAVE to do it..but because you choose to, because you CHOOSE to offer grace instead of punishment.

The law was an eye for an eye. No one said it was "unfair"...but an eye for an eye will leave everyone blind. Jesus, in a time when that was the default rule (which is pretty fair if you think about it..at least nobody will be getting killed in a fit of rage over a scratch) asked that people turn the other cheek. That they choose to end the hurt. That they say...you know what...fuggedabout it, just carry on...no you don't have to poke your own eye out..because let's face it, a lot of the time..apart from satisfaction that the other person suffers as we did, there is nothing to be gained...and somehow, catching your thrills from someone suffering like you...well...it appeals to our basic human instinct, i won't like...but we are called to be more. How can we be more, how can we move higher, closer to God, if we are gripping on to base instincts so intently?

Now the visualisation. Think about your problems, hurts, pains,worries, anxieties, things that need to be done like a heap. Like, there's a pile of them just there. Or a bucket, or a cage, or...wherever you choose to keep all the things that are your burdens to bear. Done that? okay, now imagine that everyone has one too. Some have more, some have less...Now, imagine that you have to carry it about. Everyone, just carrying their pile of issues about. Weighing on them, backs bent, doubled over over the weight of them. Stopping to set them down and wipe their brow. You, me, that guy over there.

Now, one of these people does you wrong. What this means that it is in your power (legally too!) to add something to their pile. To add a weight to their burden. They deserve this.

But adding to it isn't going to lighten your own load. Even if they are mean unapologetic...you can choose to not add that weight. You can find compassion within you and say you know what? forget it...you have a ton of things as it is..i can afford to not add to it...go ahead and sort those ones out..i'll waive this..i'll show you grace. I'll have mercy.

Everybody has a whole lot of their own issues. We have the power to not add to their burdens. It doesn't mean they don't deserve it...it means you have compassion, it shows your love...it is obeying God...and i'm sure of it that our eyes and hearts will be opened in whole new ways...I can't say i've tried this out and it's true and tested...but i do know that this is the picture God has challenged me with...

I am thankful for life

I am thankful for God

I am thankful for the relationship i have with Him

I am thankful for His faithfulness

I am thankful for Grace

I am thankful for forgiveness

I am thankful for family

I am thankful for the amazing friends i have...wooo L.P

I am thankful for the Quackington. I have no words. I just know that her in my life is something God specifically designed. She lifts my soul, just in time, in the way my spirit needs...time and time again..and when we talk, i am inspired...that is beyond proof that God is in this relationship ^_^

I am thankful for music

I am thankful for my godmother...went to fashionweek yesterday, what what! pleasant evening...God looks out for me...totally brightened my mood

I am thankful that He cares

I am thankful for friendships, relationships

I am thankful that He is enough

I am thankful for words

I am thankful for kindness

I am thankful for His abundant blessings

I am thankful that He equips and prepares me for who i'm meant to be and where i'm meant to be

I am thankful for Love

I am thankful that NOTHING is impossible for God

I am thankful for praise and worship music

btw, The Stand by Hillsong United is playing.....!!!! this song!

I am thankful for my sisters, and how blessed i am to have them. They are perfect. Ideal. I couldn't ask for better. They are wise, they are full of love, they are kind..and i am beyond blessed to have been blessed by them

I am thankful for Uni..like joke like play...2 months..

SO I"LL STAND WITH ARMS HIGH AND HEART ABANDONED, IN AWE OF THE ONE WHO GAVE IT ALL! I'LL STAND MY SOUL, LORD, TO YOU SURRENDERED, ALL I AM IS YOURS'!
what? this song is amaz!

I am thankful for His patience

I am thankful that life is such an adventure

I am thankful for...souls...that they search, that their thirst is satisfied in God.

I am thankful for this week

I am thankful for Joy

I am thankful!!!!

p.s...forgive, extend grace, find compassion within you...

No comments: