Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Don't stop moving.

So i searched for this quote online..and it's nowhere to be found. This leads me to think it's either ficticious, or, the internet is getting sloppy. It is the quote that this post was supposed to start with, and frankly, i didn't want to paraphrase yet again. Anyway, i saw the quote in MH, but that's another story. It is attributed to Frank Sinatra, and it's his son that said it so...it doesn't really matter...here's a translation...

"When you feel that you are moving forward seemingly by inertia, know this: your life is rolling downhill"- Frank Sinatra Snr.

This really struck me, because the week before last at church, the pastor had a sermon on the "roads" that we are on, and what leads to heaven and what doesn't. Now see, i think that even now, i am still struggling with that. The part where i used to, and still pretty much go: eh, everybody has their path to God. What matters is that they are going to Him. And that makes sense and feels fair..but then the pastor threw this illustration out and it kinda revolutionized the picture in my head.

He said well imagine it's a hill that we all have to get to the top of. And we are here believing that there are all these paths all around the hill and everybody picks one and we'll all meet at the top anyways...and then he puts this card on the table.

John 14:6. New International Version (NIV). 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

See, when that is placed in front of you, you can't just turn your neck the other way and pretend it never happened. You cannot not acknowledge that that's His word,and that is what it says, clear as day.

And then after we have pondered this for a min, he makes it clearer still...using words direct and not modified from the bible...

Matthew 7: 13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Do you see that there? there are two roads. All those other tiny footpaths we hold in our imaginations? er..they aren't technically there..see they are all the slivers of that one other "wide gate, broad road" road. And then there's that other way. That one true, narrow way.

What do Frank Sinatra and perpetual motion have to do with any of this? See, at some point we go..well...*scratch head* i'm all confused about this business with the roads, let me just stand here and be neutral..i mean, i'm not doing anything bad or anything, i'm just chillin', static.

That's one illusion we fall for. Frank's words have the right illustration. There is no such thing as standing still. Once you stop moving, you give yourself over to whatever external force that fancies to carry you along, or toss you this way or that. You give over your power and your life to "come what may". That's the inertia, the current, the tide just sweeping you along.

I keep having this vague nagging that i've seen another quote that supports this somewhere..but since i cannot remember, i'll just go with it. Bearing the narrow path idea in mind, i believe it is clear that it is not, in fact, a walk in the park to walk right. It is tough and there are temptations and there are rocks, and sometimes, a lot of the time, it will be the most frustrating path to be walking on. None of this mean that it is the wrong path. God never said, never promised that life would be gravy or that He will never let you experience hardships (what's the fun in that? :P) What He does promise, is that He will get you through it, and with Him, it is possible. That is more than enough for me. It means that though it's intimidating, and daunting, it is doable, and in such a way that you won't even suffer in the way you thought you would. It will be unpleasant, sure enough..but you'll see the ways in which it builds you and ultimately not hate the experience, because God is there with you, making it okay, somehow, no matter how awful it physically or emotionally is...

Okay, so i digress. Now, the alternative to that helpless downhill slide is to be not so "neutral" (read: passive), and realize that you need to be active about climbing up that hill, over rocks and everything. It means you making conscious decisions every day, every hour that are in line with that narrow path that you know is the right one.

So basically it's this: There is no neutral option. If you're not on one road, then you will involuntarily be on the other. There is no standing and scratching your head. If things are happening that have nothing to do with what you know and where you want to be...it means things that you know nothing about are taking you where you don't know you want to be. Check yourself.

I am thankful. I am thankful in ways that transcend whatever "mood" i'm in. It's like...i have these parasitic thoughts that bother me from time to time, that pop up and remind me that i worry about them..but somehow, totally separate of them, and totally encompassing my whole being..is joy, that makes everything else insignificant.

I am thankful that God, well..i know this sounds like it has cheese grated over, and is the work of Capt. Obvious..but God is supernatural. Like...sometimes i think we need to completely chuck our logic out of the window because it cannot handle the truth that God makes supernatural things happen in our lives. Downright ridiculous sometimes. I know that on Sunday i actually laughed out loud when God answered me like two minutes after i went all pouty, and yes, yes i was hurt and flippant and i asked that He make something happen...and then it happens, and there are too many coincidences around it and i'm literally looking at the sky and am like "saywhaaat?" Supernatural.

I am thankful for my family.

I am thankful for Love. For the love that God has for me, for the love my family have for me. It is life.

I am thankful for God

I am thankful for my relationship with Him.

I am thankful that He saved me, and keeps saving me. I've been through a whole lot of things. Some bad, some really bad, and some just a mess...but i'm okay...so..i know i'll keep being okay. God has never forsaken me..so why would He suddenly start?

I am thankful for the intensified learning course He has put me on...like...whoaaaa! He is doing things to me..

I am thankful for faith. Faith is a powerful thing.

I am thankful for kindness and laughter.

I am thankful for prayer, for answered prayers, for unanswered prayers

I am thankful for His perfect plan.

I am thankful for His instructions, guidance and protection...kai..with the adventures i get myself into..it is only God that keeps me alive and whole.

I am thankful that He made me. That He gave me life, that He keeps me, and that He has a plan for my life...like, specifically designed. That's love.

I am thankful for so many things that this list, as you well know, cannot be exhausted...really need to walk about with a notebook and write down all my miracles and constant blessing...cuz my silly head forgets some along the way..ooooh! i am thankful that He gets me through school work and tests in the most miraculous way...all my stressin', He just brushes away and makes it all okay.

I am thankful for His patience. I am THANKFUL! can i get a witnesssss? :P

Wait on the Lord, wait for Him in silence...just align yourself with His time...don't take things into your own hands..believe me, i am testifying, that you will be blown away..just sit down and trust Him.

Side hugs and air kisses! keep the Faith and keep it moving!

No comments: